Dear PUSD Families,
Protecting the health, safety, and wellbeing of our school community remains our top priority as we welcome students back to full-time, in-person learning. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols in alignment with CDPH mitigation strategies to keep our students and staff safe while on campus. At this time, however, we are seeing an increase in positive cases affecting our community. (You can track positive confirmed cases per school site on the District dashboard.)
It is our expectation to keep our schools open and students participating in on-campus instruction. This will take a collaborative effort between home and school to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19 on our campuses so that we can keep our schools open and students safe. In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our school community, it is critical to screen your child(ren) before school each day. PLEASE, do not send your child(ren) to school if they are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher
- (Persistent) cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Muscle or body aches, fatigue
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, or abdominal pain
- Runny nose, congestion
Quarantining & Testing
If your child is experiencing any of the above symptoms, they must stay home. Please contact your school site Attendance Clerk to excuse your child’s absence and see a healthcare professional for a COVID test. With a negative COVID test, your child can return to school after symptoms improve and they are fever-free. Without a negative test, your child should remain at home for 10 days, and return to school on day 11 if symptoms have improved and they are fever-free.
PUSD has partnered with Phamatech to offer testing appointments for any Poway Unified students and staff exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms or for those who have had possible exposure to a positive COVID-19 case. You can make appointments at this link, and appointments are available 7 days a week. Phamatech is conveniently located in Carmel Mountain at: 15175 Innovation Drive, San Diego, CA 92128. Again, appointments are required via this unique link for the safety of Phamatech staff and patients. Both rapid antigen and PCR tests are available. We are continuing to explore additional testing solutions with CDPH and private vendors to ensure access to testing and timely results. Thank you for your patience.
COVID-19 testing is also available at multiple locations throughout San Diego County. In addition to your medical provider and local drug stores, visit this website to schedule an appointment at a testing facility near you.
Positive COVID Cases
Under no circumstances should anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 come to school or work, regardless of vaccination status or whether symptoms are present. This puts others at risk and increases the number of close contacts at your child’s school that will have to quarantine. Even an asymptomatic, vaccinated person can contract/spread COVID-19.
If your student has been identified as a close contact or has had possible exposure to a COVID-19 case at school, your school is required to follow one of the quarantine guidelines here.
AT-HOME TEST KITS
On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, PUSD received a shipment of State-provided COVID test kits for students. They will be distributed as quickly as possible.
Students will receive a test kit at school for at-home testing. If a student is absent from school, their parents/guardian will be able pick up a kit at the front office during business hours starting Friday, January 7, 2022. Each kit contains two tests. Parents/Guardians may use the tests at their discretion as outlined below:
- As a screening tool to ensure your child is healthy to continue to attend school, particularly if your child is not showing any symptoms; if the test is positive, notify your school and follow the guidelines here
- If your child already has had a positive test, you may use one of the tests in the kit on or after Day 5 of isolation, as evidence of a negative result before being allowed to return to school. In an effort to maintain in-person learning, and address the lack of available testing appointments at local clinics, the at-home tests will be accepted as evidence of your child’s negative result.
- If your child is quarantining as a close contact, the tests can also be used as evidence of a negative result. Follow the updated testing and quarantine guidelines here.
- Any additional tests should be saved for if or when your child might experience symptoms or be named as a close contact to a positive case.
IMPORTANT! If you do NOT want your child to receive a test kit to bring home, please communicate that clearly to your child, and send this opt-out form with them to school. As you know, these tests are very scarce so we do not want any to go to waste.
Thank you for your patience and partnership in keeping our students and staff safe!
PUSD has partnered with Phamatech to provide PUSD staff, students, and their immediate family members who are a close contact or exhibiting symptoms with convenient drive-thru access to testing, as well as expedited results.
Phamatech is located at 15175 Innovation Drive, San Diego, CA 92128
You must make an appointment in advance: Appointment portal linked here
Appointments are available 7 days per week – times vary per day. The tests are free:
- If you have insurance/Medicare/Medi-Cal, you will be asked to provide that information and Phamatech will bill your insurance for the test. There is no copay.
- If you do not have insurance, you will enter the word NONE for insurance information and the federal/state governments will reimburse Phamatech. Please do not write NONE if you have insurance.
Again, this is for all PUSD Staff, students, and their family members exposed to COVID (you must check the “exposed box” when making appointment)
Other Free COVID-19 Testing Sites:
Total Testing Solutions – 12119 World Trade Drive, San Diego, CA 92128
Appointment required – click here
Miramar – Free Testing Location – 9235 Activity Road, Suite 101/102, San Diego, CA 92126
No appointment necessary
Available everyday, 10:00am – 2:00pm
This is a saliva test – do not eat, chew gum or brush your teeth within 30 minutes of test. Do not drink water within 10 minutes of test.
*Must bring current, valid insurance card (Medicaid/Medi-Cal not accepted). If you are uninsured, have a valid form of ID. You must also bring a smart phone in order to scan a QR Code.
Cal State San Marcos – 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos, CA 92078
No appointment necessary
Testing is located in Parking Lot B
Available Sunday through Thursday, 10:30 am – 5:00 pm
San Diego – North Central Public Health Center – 5055 Ruffin Road, San Diego, CA 92123
Appointment required – click here
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Please feel free to contact Principal Mindy Davis with any questions or concerns. firstname.lastname@example.org